Have you considered supporting Nuget?

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Hi,

First I'd like to thank you again for this fantastic library. Combres has been very valuable to me since I started using it.

I was wondering if you have any plans to support Nuget ( http://nuget.codeplex.com/ )

It would probably make Combress much more popular since it's so much easier to install and update a library like Combres via Nuget than by hand.

Dec 13, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Hi Adrian, I will surely look into Nuget.  Thanks for bringing this up.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Hi Buunguyen,

Thanks for considering it! Phil Haack and Scott Gu are heavily promoting it, and there are quite a few packages for Nuget already, so I am quite sure it will be a success.

This blog posting might help you with packaging Combres:

http://feeds.haacked.com/~r/haacked/~3/tmUSDH19WwY/nuget-roundup-december-2010-edition.aspx

Thanks,

Adrian

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM

This would be a def plus for the project as I'm finding myself using it all the time.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I'm exploring NuGet now.  Waiting for the contributor account to be granted.  Will let you know when Combres is available on NuGet.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM

That's great! Thanks a lot! :-)

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:47 AM

Combres is available in NuGet now.  See 5-Minute Quick Start.  Give it a try and let me know any issue.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM
Edited Jan 25, 2011 at 10:10 AM

That's great! Thanks a lot! 

Just one thing I noticed at first glance: in your tutorial you are asking to register the combres routes manually. It's just a trivial task of course, but If I understand this blog article, even this might not be necessary:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidebb/archive/2010/10/11/light-up-your-nupacks-with-startup-code-and-webactivator.aspx

Just a thought... I'll get back to you again after I've had a chance to try Combres. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:13 PM
Edited Jan 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM
buunguyen wrote:

Combres is available in NuGet now.  See 5-Minute Quick Start.  Give it a try and let me know any issue.

Hi,

I've given it a first try. Two minor issues so far:

- When typing in my view (as mentioned in the tutorial above):

@using Combres.Mvc;
@Html.CombresLink("MobileAreaCSSDaily");  
I got an error saying that the CombresLink extension method does not exist (probably because I am using ASP.NET MVC?). 

I fixed this by typing @using Combres.Mvc; instead, but you might want to alter the tutorial accordingly for MVC users.

EDIT: after having another look at the tutorial, I noticed that this is written further to the bottom, so it was my fault after all. But it might have been easier to spo if you wrote it just below the regular using directive.

- I get a 404 error when trying to load resources via combres.axd. I fixed this by replacing

routes.AddCombresRoute("Combres");

with 

RouteTable.Routes.AddCombresRoute("Combres");

I guess it's because something has changed since I installed my old version of combres, so this is nothing really important for new Combres users.

Thanks,

Adrian

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:32 PM

A few hours later... I have not seen any more problems so far. Great job adding Combres to Nuget! :-)

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:48 AM
Edited Jan 26, 2011 at 5:49 AM
Adrian_Grigore wrote:

That's great! Thanks a lot! 

Just one thing I noticed at first glance: in your tutorial you are asking to register the combres routes manually. It's just a trivial task of course, but If I understand this blog article, even this might not be necessary:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidebb/archive/2010/10/11/light-up-your-nupacks-with-startup-code-and-webactivator.aspx

Just a thought... I'll get back to you again after I've had a chance to try Combres. 

I just came to mention the same thing as it was my understanding too that you can add this stuff automatically. It is great though that it is now packaged  I have not looked at adding it in my project yet as I did manually before I heard of nuget and made the suggestion(as you did too). I am wondering does it add the stuff to the web.config too?

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM
chobo2 wrote:

I am wondering does it add the stuff to the web.config too?

Yes, it does. All you need to do is add the call to RouteTable.Routes.AddCombresRoute() and generate, your combres.xml and replace your js and css includes in your view with combres ones.

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:44 AM
Edited Jan 27, 2011 at 5:46 AM

@Adrian: I've updated the NuGet package to use webactivator (thanks for the link).  Now route registration is done automatically.  However, it doesn't work for ASP.NET 3.5 though since webactivator is built for ASP.NET 4.0 (I've updated the the documentation to clarify this).

@using Combres.Mvc;
@Html.CombresLink("MobileAreaCSSDaily");  
I got an error saying that the CombresLink extension method does not exist (probably because I am using ASP.NET MVC?). 

I fixed this by typing @using Combres.Mvc; instead, but you might want to alter the tutorial accordingly for MVC users.

I don't understand, if you had @using Combres.Mvc already why would typing @using Combres.Mvc again fixes the issue?  Anyway, if you don't want to add @using manually, configure it in web.config, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3875207/how-to-add-extra-namespaces-to-razor-pages-instead-of-using-declaration/3876409#3876409