Combres & IIS 6

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:24 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I have Combres 2.1 running on my workstation running IIS 7. Uploaded to server running IIS 6 on Windows 2003 and the script files are not loaded via Combres.

Is there some setting in web.config that need to be set for use on IIS 6, perhaps a handler in system.web?

Oh, I'm on asp.net 4 and MVC 2

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Here's the error reported by Chrome developer tools:

1. Request URL:
    http://www.XXX.com/combres.axd/masterJs/1717057312/
  2. Request Method:
    GET
  3. Status Code:
    500 Internal Server Error
  5. The error is on IIS 6.

1.  As I noted in the previous post, this same code runs fine on IIS7.

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Hi Joe, I suggest you check if other routes work okay or is it just the Combres route that doesn't work.  If no route works properly, you might need to check to see if the routing module is configured properly in web.config.  If only the Combres route has problem, please send the detailed error log (e.g. turn custom error to "off").

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:56 PM

All other routes are working fine. The page loads normally. The problem is the javascript files from Combres are not loading. All I'm trying to load is jquery at this point. Works fine in IIS7, not on IIS 6. On IIS 7 machine Google Chrome developer tools shows the combress file loaded with proper header and the jquery script in the content. However, on IIS 6 Chrome shows the following:

IIS 6 Header:

1. Request URL:
    http://www.xxx.com/combres.axd/masterJs/1717057312/
  2. Request Method:
    GET
  3. Status Code:
  5. IIS 6 Content:
  6.  Content is empty
  7. There is no error in the machine application log file, no error displayed when the page loads..... except jquery file from combres is not loaded and thus unavailable.

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:56 PM

It just occured to me that on my IIS 6 machine I have added a global wildcard mapping to aspnet_isapi.dll to allow routes without using the .mvc in the routes.

I also have a route in global.asax to ignore my scripts directory.

I'm wondering if this setup is preventing the Combres route from reading .js files? I'm going to remove all the ignore-route items except the axd one after the Combres route and see if that solves the problem.

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:19 PM
Edited Dec 6, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Could the response headers on the IIS 6 machine may be incorrect ... for some reason?  Any ideas? They show:

1. Cache-Control:
    private
  2. Content-Length:
  3. Content-Type:
    text/html; charset=utf-8
  4. Date:
    Mon, 06 Dec 2010 19:16:10 GMT
  5. P3P:
    CP="NON DSP COR CURa ADMa CUSa OUR INDSTA"
  6. Server:
    Microsoft-IIS/6.0
  7. X-AspNet-Version:
  8. X-AspNetMvc-Version:
  9. X-Powered-By:
    ASP.NET
Dec 21, 2010 at 2:53 AM

Is anyone successfully running Combres on Windows 2003 Server and IIS 6?

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I have (also configured wildcard mapping with no .mvc extension as you did).  Although I didn't see the issue you are facing.  Can you run a debugger on the code to see if Combres code is executed at all or is it a routing issue?  If Combres code is hit, the debugger should help show the line where the error happens, you can post that info here and I'll look into it.  

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure how to run debug on the live server running IIS 6. On my workstation running IIS 7, Combres runs properly and loads the script file. On the IIS 6 server Google Chrome develop tools shows:

1. Request URL:
    http://www.oceanpines.tv/combres.axd/siteJs/830110073/
  2. Request Method:
    GET
  3. Status Code:

The url above is a test site on my IIS server - http://www.oceanpines.tv/demo

By the way, when composing this message with debugging turned on in IE 8, every time I hit the Enter key I receive an unknown runtime error. When accessing the test site about IE 8 reports no debugging errors on load..